Periodontics is the branch of dentistry that focuses on the prevention and treatment of oral disease. Dental disease can affect all of the structures and tissues surrounding the teeth.
Your periodontist can keep you safe from the effects of gum disease. We offer state-of-the-art periodontic services at Triumph Dental Of Queen Creek to combat the far-reaching and serious problems caused by gum disease, or periodontal disease.
Why Periodontics are Important
Millions of Americans are currently suffering from some level of gum disease. Why is it important to keep your mouth free of periodontitis? Because gum disease leads to:
- Loss of bone and tissue that hold teeth in place
- Collapsed facial structure
- Difficulty chewing
- Loose teeth and tooth loss
- Shifting and crooked teeth
- Bad bite
Gum disease is also associated with diabetes, heart disease, and other problems. It is essential to treat gum disease early so that you can reduce your risk and keep enjoying optimal health.
When to See a Periodontist
You should have your gums checked regularly at your dental examinations and cleanings. These visits should take place at least twice a year. Prevention is the best treatment for gum disease. You should also see a periodontist if:
- Your gums are bleeding or swollen
- It is difficult or painful to chew
- You are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (women with gum disease are much more likely to deliver underweight, pre-term babies)
- You feel your smile is too gummy
- You are missing one or more teeth
- You have family members with periodontal disease
You can start preventing periodontitis at home with regular brushing and flossing. Frequent professional cleanings are also crucial.
Call us at Triumph Dental Of Queen Creek today to schedule your appointment with our friendly periodontist. We will ensure that you are benefitting from optimal oral health.